Met Chad Beecroft in my Storyboarding class @NWFilmcenter and am hoping to work with him in the future.
While storytelling isn’t exactly 100% visual, I’ve decided to play with screenplay structure to see what I can learn from it.
The writing process starts with laying out your intentions. I immediately think of either free-writing or outlines with roman numerals and indention.
- Free-writing gets ideas flowing, much like thinking while in the shower.
- Outline structure is too much like a waterfall of ideas and less like the night sky of ideas where beginnings are visualized.
I wanted to play chess with ideas. Character interaction and scenes build upon each other within the screenplay structure.
Additional benefits of screenplay:
- Enforces “show don’t tell” because you must think in terms of scene.
- Encourages visualizing character interaction to develop a character rather than writing piles of backstory.
- Eases editing by keeping scenes to the length of a sticky note (low investment = easier edit decisions).
I liked putting all my cards on the table and checking the stakes.